The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. -Thomas Jefferson

Monday, August 18, 2008

We hold these truths to be self-evident...

This past week one of the original copies of The Declaration of Independence was on display at the Utah Capitol building. So Saturday we headed up there to see it. We had NO IDEA how many people had our same idea. So after THREE HOURS in line we finally got our chance to take a look. Kaitlyn had a rough time having to stand around for 3 hours, and our backs and feet hurt but once we got the front of the line and took our turn to look at the Declaration, it was worth it. It’s such an amazing piece of history and there was quite a reverence there.

Waiting, waiting, waiting….

We tried to find the map on the back, but they wouldn’t let us! (just kidding!)
Kaitlyn fell asleep TEN MINUTES before we go to the declaration!


View from the Capitol. We live in such a BEAUTIFUL valley!




3 comments:

Kara said...

That's awesome! You are lucky that they let you take a picture by the decloration! When we saw it in Washington DC they wouldn't let any pictures be taken! LAME! I love how patriotic you are :) Love this post

Valerie Plowman said...

That is cool! It is so neat to see old documents like this. I saw it in DC, but was able to take pictures.

Francine said...

I think that's so neat that you went to go do that! When we went to go see Batman in the theater there was a little clip before the movie about this tour. I thought it would be really cool to make it to the Capitol to see The Declaration but that's as far as I got. I like your joke about trying to find the map on the back- ha ha.