The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. -Thomas Jefferson

Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July!

“And so tonight we reaffirm that Jew and gentile, we are one nation under God; that black and white, we are one nation indivisible; that Republican and Democrat, we are all Americans. Tonight, with heart and hand, through whatever trial and travail, we pledge ourselves to each other and to the cause of human freedom, the cause that has given light to this land and hope to the world.”
— President Ronald Reagan
Aboard U.S.S. John F. Kennedy
(CV-67)New York HarborJuly 4, 1986


Happy 4th of July to everyone! I LOVE this holiday. As I sit here this Independence Day morning I am thinking about how grateful I am to live in this great country. I truly believe it to be a promised land. I’m so thankful to my dad who taught me the history (past and present) of this country and the Divinely inspired principle its founding was predicated upon. I’m so appreciative to all those who fought for our freedom both on the battle front and here at home. I’m grateful to those that continue that fight now.

We celebrate Independence Day on July 4th, because that was the day the Declaration of Independence was sent to the printer and that is the date that is on the Declaration of Independence. However, the Continental Congress voted to declare independence from Great Britain on July 2nd . It's not the day we celebrate, but the way we celebrate and honor our Independance. My dad sent me something John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail (I love Abigail Adams. She is one of the greatest women our country has produced and the relationship between John and Abigail is one of the great love stories of our time.) that I want to share:

John Adams wrote the following to Abigail on July 3, 1776 – the day after congress approve independence:

“The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America.

“I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.


“You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. -- I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. -- Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.”






4 comments:

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Thanks for making me a little smarter today Erin. That song at the end gets me going every time I hear it!
P.S. Sorry I put that comment on your last post, I thought about how silly I was after the fact, hope you still love me!!!

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Nice post!

Tyler & Michelle said...

You have inspired me to be more patriotic.