The happiest moments of my life have been the few which I have passed at home in the bosom of my family. -Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Hot Bath & a Good Book

So, I’m a book nerd. This shouldn’t be news to anyone, but there it is. Besides my family and the Gospel (of course) there is NOTHING I love more than a good book. When I want time to myself, time to relax, time to just be happy – I fill up the bath with super hot water, get a big glass of water and usually some sort of chocolatey treat, then I lose myself in a love story, a chase against the clock, or a little bit of magic.

Jane Austen is one of my favorites. I love everything about her world – the clothes, the propriety, the Mr. Darcy’s and Colonel Brandon’s. Elizabeth Bennett is my absolute FAVORITE character ever written. Then there is the Twilight Series. Its not all about Edward for me (although he’s a lot of it) it’s about this world she’s created that even though it is full of mythical creatures, it’s still has all the struggles and emotions of real life. I love that. Then there is Harry Potter. What I wouldn’t give to be able to apparate and duel dark wizards. I don’t really read non-fiction, I probably should broaden my horizons a little, but really I love getting lost in a pretend world of romance and drama, escaping reality for a bit. (I did read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell recently, that was definitely the best NF book I’ve ever read.)

My most recent faves are books I found out about just recently. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Holy Crap! This book had everything, drama, suspense, looove, and a cliffhanger to die for. The second in the series, Catching Fire, was even better. I TOTALLY recommend these to anyone. Yesterday I finished the latest book I’m adding to my collection, Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. What Stephanie Meyer did with Vampires, Maggie did with Werewolves. Love it! (thanks Alex for recommending these!!!)

Brian doesn’t really read. I try to get him to. I’ve tried to explain how there is nothing better than finding a book that you just can’t put down, I say this to him with so much emotion and longing that usually he looks at me with eyes that say “I married a crazy person.” And its true, I’m totally crazy and totally a nerd.

So my dream: to write a novel. Will it ever happen? Maybe, who knows. I’m still waiting to have a Stephanie Meyer-esque dream so I know what to write about. Till then, I will content myself with the vast world of fiction that sits before me. *sigh*

Erin’s top 10 (13 actually)
Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer
Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen
The Confessions Georgia Nicolson books by Louise Rennison
The Work & the Glory by Gerald Lund
Angels & Demons by Dan Brown
The Rescue by Nicolas Sparks
The Notebook by Nicolas Sparks
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein
Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
The Giver by Lois Lowry

If i keep sitting here, i'm sure i's come up with many more... :)

7 comments:

Alex said...

WOOT! So glad I was able to share some good reads with you!!! So you liked Shiver, huh? Isn't Sam the sweetest?!?! Very Edward-ish! Oh, and I am on the hunt for the other 2 Giver books. I found out they are not exactly sequels perse but they do deal with (some of) the same characters and the whole "sameness communities" world. They're reserved for me at the library, so now I'm just waiting! Have you ever read any Terry Goodkind books? Ben has kinda gotten me into those and that show "The Seeker" is based on them.

Jason-Mindi-Porter-Ellery said...

Erin and her books, I even know that even though you have the book in hardback, you keep around your paperbacks for the tub. My Mom and Sisters love to read as much as you(my Mom probably more.) When I was in Ut, Haylee was obsessed with the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. The first book is called "One For the Money". They are about a girl bounty hunter and there are like 15 books. she also recommends the Hunger Games series she thinks the author is Suzan Collins? ENJOY!!

the watkins said...

I'm so glad we live by each other so I can have someone suggest books to read! I don't really have any other friends that can read like you do. I really appreciate your reading talent and taste in books. I'll be awaiting your novel.
PS read the new Dan Brown book.

Tamara Jacobs said...

i loved reading about the books you love. it's been too long since i've picked up a good book. when have you found is the best time to read? i have the hardest time squeezing it in, but i really want to. any suggestions? i miss you!
your girls are beautiful, and you look awesome!

Stephanie said...

ok so I'm almost done with the Hunger Games, It is so good!!! I can't wait to start the second one! I'm so glad that you share in the book nerdiness. Isn't it a wonderful feeling! haha :)

The Tenney's said...

Tam, i read when i am nursing a lot and also, right now i've got the girls so that they both take a nap at the same time in the afternoon. that is my main reading time.

Smith Family said...

Erin,
I have to admit that I check in on the b11 ward from time to time, I love to see what you are up to down in the bluffs. I love looking at your blog, because I am a huge twilight fan as well but I have to keep it in the closet so to say because Spencer teases me. Thank you for you book list I have to agree with 6 of your choices and I haven't read the others, yet. I will be getting those soon. I have been needing a good book and I know I can rely on your judgement. Have you read Dorothy Keddington books? If not try them, they are my favorite. Also try Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns. It is wonderful. I just thought I would share some ideas since I am stealing some of yours. Congrats on the sweet baby girl. She is beautiful.